Sunday, January 6, 2008

Too Much Time in the Woods














Yesterday as I was walking through the woods with my trusty chainsaw and axe looking for some trees that were likely candidates for cutting down to make blanks for my woodturning, I looked up in a tree and this is what I saw!!!! I turned around and walked right out of there.

We haven't spent a lot of time traveling lately except back and forth to friends, relatives, and church unless you we can count walking in the woods and out to the shop and back, but it's time to update the blog if only to stay in contact and return greetings we received for the holidays.

It's finally January and Joy is a little depressed and bored because there are not as many social engagements to take up our time and Rich has taken a deep breath and a sigh of relief for exactly the same reason. What a pair. We had a wonderful holiday season but missed all of those who are so far away, especially the grandkids.

Joy is learning to knit for the umteenth time and having some success for the first time. She also is looking for a calligraphy teacher in the Grand Rapids area. She is working part time in the Calvin Bookstore and loves being back on campus to smooze and play dutch bingo with the students and all her friends. Volunteering was a little slow for the month of December but will certainly pick up during January. Joy got several books for Christmas so she will stay busy along with those and CSIs and Law and Orders.

I am still woodturning and Joy is very hopeful because "this is the longest you have stayed with one hobby". We had a party before Christmas and a group of friend from early Calvin College times came over and made wooden pens for Christmas, it was a great time. I helped a neighbor mill some oak and cherry trees into lumber so I picked up several truck loads of cuttoff slabs for platters and plates. Get you order in soon. Also, I am mentoring at a local high school material sciences class where they are introduced to woodturning. I am taking a little time out to help nephew Jonathan build an aquarium but I still get to woodturn while the epoxy is drying. I need to update my website so don't look now but take a peak in a few weeks at http://rjanema.com/

We don't have many long term plans for travel the rest of the year but will undoubtedly get around a bit. We had such a wonderful time with Earl and Cathy and the families last September and hope it works out again this summer. We will be campground hosts at Wilderness State Park in Mackinaw Michigan from the week before Memorial Day to June 30th and would love to see any of you up there. Let us know and we will help you pick out a good site. We aren't real good about making long term plans but kind of like to just take off.

My sister Winnie and husband Don have moved to Grand Rapids where Don has a new position as Minister of Congregational Life at a church here. Joy is looking forward to lots of socializing with Winnie and Don and I are working on plans for a little fishing. It will be good since Winnie and I have not lived in the same town since we were kids.

We wish you God's blessing for health and prosperity for the coming years.
Joy and Rich

2 comments:

Len and Carrie said...

Thanks for updating your blog. We love to hear about what you are doing even if you are not traveling.

Derek Andrews said...

I trust you spared that tree!